REPORTS TO: Vice President, Government Affairs
LOCATION: Washington, D.C.
The Director of Public Policy manages ACHP’s policy portfolio, serving as the leading thinker and expert on policy priority issues such as Medicare Advantage, the individual market, prescription drug pricing, Medicaid managed care, telehealth and mental health. The Director reports to the VP of Government Affairs partnering with the VP, the CEO, and the integrated ACHP Advocacy Department, and plan representatives to advance the interests of our nonprofit, provider-aligned, community health plans. This individual is an experienced policy expert who dissects, translates and advances regulatory and legislative proposals working closely with policymakers and regulatory officials on issues impacting ACHP members. At the same time, the Director proactively surfaces emerging issues or potential policy initiatives that might be advanced by the Association. He/she is a collegial, enterprising, emerging leader looking to contribute to a mission-driven organization with potential for growth and increased influence in the policymaking environment.
- Serve as ACHP’s lead point person on all policy activities.
- Build relationships with and among public policy, Medicare, Medicaid and other staff of member plans to draft and advance ACHP’s public policy agenda.
- Manage a consensus process among member plans to develop organizational policy positions that support ACHP’s mission.
- Build and strengthen relationships with congressional and federal agency staff to advance ACHP policy priorities.
- Prepare testimony, congressional and regulatory comment letters, and policy presentations on public policy priorities.
- Partner with the ACHP Clinical Innovation team to translate clinical best practices into actionable policy options.
- In conjunction with the clinical and communications departments, facilitate the publication of external reports, briefs, and other types of thought leadership that enhance ACHP’s reputation and advance its agenda policy.
- Monitor and analyze legislation and regulations and disseminate information to ACHP member plans in a timely way.
- Serve as a resource to member plans on federal policy action and the implications for plan operations.
- Develop and produce member programming, such as webinars and conferences, on relevant policy topics.
- Present to key internal and external audiences on ACHP’s policy portfolio.
- With other members of the integrated Advocacy team, staff key internal decision-making committees including the Legislative Committee and Board Policy Committee.
- Support and advise ACHP communications team on matters relating to policy.
- Contribute to the monthly ACHP Advocacy Newsletter.
- Guide and mentor junior staff on the Advocacy team.
- Support President/CEO in activities related to Advocacy programming.
- Offer excellent service to members by responding to specific queries and questions professionally, timely and accurately.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Advanced degree in health, government, law, public policy or related field
- Advanced understanding of health plans’ operations, particularly regional health plans and the breadth of related marketplace issues
- Significant experience with health regulatory agencies (CMS, CCIIO, CMMI, MedPAC) and Congressional committees of jurisdiction
- 4+ years management experience
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Proven ability to develop and lead collaborative initiatives to successful outcomes
- Ability to identify and explain business implications of policy proposals
- Is a self-starter who generates ideas
Salary is commensurate with experience. ACHP offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package.
Please forward a cover letter, resume, 2 writing samples and salary expectations to Alliance of Community Health Plans, via email at HR@achp.org.
Making Health Care Better
The Alliance of Community Health Plans is a national leadership organization bringing together innovative health plans and provider groups that are among America’s best at delivering affordable, high-quality coverage and care. Our plans are shaping the future of health care - driving better health outcomes, building healthier communities and inspiring an entire industry to do better.