REPORTS TO: VICE PRESIDENT, EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
The Director of Legislative Affairs is responsible for advancing the policy interests of ACHP and its member organizations in Washington. The Director is the primary day-to-day lobbyist for ACHP and its member organizations on Capitol Hill and with the Executive Branch. He/she will partner with the ACHP Board, senior management and member plan government relations leaders to develop and implement an advocacy strategy.
The Director’s overall goal will be to enhance the collective voice of ACHP member organizations in providing public policy solutions and to achieve legislative and regulatory successes. This is a senior position in a highly collaborative, fast-paced, member-driven environment. ACHP’s integrated Advocacy team, comprising policy, lobbying and communications, is central to the organization’s mission to promote not-for-profit, high-quality, payer-provider organizations.
- Develop and execute lobbying strategy in order to increase the visibility and influence of ACHP and its member organizations among Members of Congress, Congressional staff and other federal policy makers and thought leaders.
- Coordinate with ACHP member organizations to achieve measurable policy outcomes and collaborate on effective lobbying strategies and approaches.
- Monitor and anticipate relevant political and policy developments impacting member organizations and help develop strategies for engagement around them.
- Attend hearings, meetings and various events in Washington to represent ACHP as needed.
- In partnership with ACHP’s Director of Market Strategy and Analytics deploy the latest marketplace data to strengthen the advocacy messaging.
- Work closely with ACHP external consultants to align strategies for meeting stated goals.
- Build and maintain ACHP’s relationships with key policymakers and health care stakeholders in Washington.
- Leverage relationships with other like-minded organizations and stakeholders to accomplish ACHP policy goals.
- Serve as expert resource on political and legislative issues affecting ACHP plans. Present to key internal and external audiences on developments in Washington and ACHP’s advocacy work.
- Contribute to the development of ACHP’s public affairs messaging and external brand.
- Partner with other ACHP colleagues to incorporate all staff capabilities into policy and lobbying efforts where appropriate. Leverage member plans’ leadership and expertise in
- Support President and CEO as needed to achieve ACHP’s agenda.
- 7+ years of experience in combined public policy, federal health advocacy, or political campaign positions; Congressional staff experience preferred
- Strong understanding of federal health care policy, including health plan issues, and of the political environment
- Established, bipartisan relationships on Capitol Hill and/or in the Executive Branch
- 2+ years of supervisory or project management experience preferred
- Sophisticated understanding of how Washington works and the intersection of policy and politics
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Entrepreneurial team player with a passion for health care
- Proven ability to plan and execute a comprehensive, proactive lobbying plan that advances the interests of member organizations
- Ability to see and apply big picture aspects of health care policy to daily ACHP program strategy and tactics
- Comfort level with modern communications tool such as Microsoft PowerPoint, Twitter, LinkedIn, Microsoft Excel
Please submit a CV, cover letter and two writing samples via e-mail to ACHP Human Resources at email@example.com. Please include Director, Legislative Affairs, along with your first initial and last name in the subject line of your e-mail message.
Making Health Care Better
The Alliance of Community Health Plans is a national leadership organization bringing together innovative health plans and provider groups that are among America’s best at delivering affordable, high-quality coverage and care. Our plans are shaping the future of health care - driving better health outcomes, building healthier communities and inspiring an entire industry to do better.