Fall 2016 Medical Directors Council Meeting
The medical directors will be meeting October 25 – October 26 concurrently with the pharmacy directors, clinical executives and marketplace leaders, providing a great opportunity to network with colleagues from other member organizations and participate in joint discussions over the course of the meeting. The agenda has framed up nicely, in large part due to your help. Thank you!
I look forward to seeing many of you in Chicago!
The meeting will be held at the W Chicago – Lakeshore (644 N. Lakeshore Drive) hotel in Chicago, Illinois. It will begin at 11:00 a.m. CT on Tuesday, October 25 and run until 4:00 p.m. CT on Wednesday, October 26. We will have a group reception and dinner that will include the pharmacy directors, as well as the medical directors, clinical executives and the marketplace leaders on the evening of Tuesday, October 25.
- Dan Leonard, President of the National Pharmaceutical Council, provided two background documents for his talk:
- Allen Weiss, President and CEO, Naples Community Hospital Healthcare System, will be presenting to the ACHP Board of Directors and Medical Directors on Blue Zones. He has provided an article as background.
- ACHP plans to announce a signature initiative at its 30th annual symposium in April 2017. This initiative aims to elevate and solidify the ACHP brand and demonstrate a shared commitment by its member organizations. We have narrowed the list of potential initiatives down to five, with an overview of each provided for your review. We have discussed these options with a number of the medical directors already, but are looking for feedback (e.g., concerns, ideas for how to strengthen individual options, which initiatives spark the greatest interest, etc.) from those we have not yet connected with. We will be discussing the initiative in greater detail with the medical directors and board of directors at the meeting, with a goal of narrowing down the list. Please send your comments to Jennifer Sulkin (email@example.com) by Wednesday, October 19.
- During the two-hour pharmacy strategy session, the medical directors and pharmacy directors will reflect on the drug cost efforts to date and discuss opportunities to strengthen our approach over the next 3-5 year. As background information, we have provided a list of organizations focused on the drug cost issue and a policy document – prepared by ACHP in early 2016 with input from its members – highlighting various policy options under consideration nationally.
- David Meltzer, University of Chicago, will join the medical directors and clinical executives to discuss various care coordination interventions, including the Comprehensive Care Physician (CCP) model, which seeks to improve care at low cost for patients at increased risk of hospitalization. Here is an overview of the CCP model.
- ACHP is looking to streamline its Learning and Innovation programming (i.e. clinical collaboratives) in 2017 to enhance the organization’s influence, accelerate learning and create more focus and alignment with overall organizational objectives. The proposed framework outlines a few modest changes. Greater explanation will be provided at the meeting.
- Please also come prepared to share comments on your plan’s medical savings strategies for 2017, as well as efforts around physician performance management.