Security Health Plan has invested $20,000 in the Marshfield Clinic’s Child Life Program, which endeavors to alleviate anxiety and Read more »
ACHP Plans at Work in Their Communities
Addressing Food Insecurity, One Partnership and Innovation at a Time
Alliance of Community Health Plans (ACHP) members are implementing innovative approaches to address food insecurity in their communities. A new set of community health profiles explores how:
- AvMed (Miami, Florida) partners with Feeding South Florida to provide a monthly mobile pantry, staffed by AvMed associates, that delivers free healthy food to neighborhoods in need. AvMed served more than 800 families during a recent distribution.*
- HealthPartners (Bloomington, Minnesota), in partnership with the Valley Outreach Food Shelf, applies the principles of food marketing, behavioral economics and health communications to a system that distributes more than 800,000 pounds of food to 1,500 households each year.
- Kaiser Permanente (Colorado) screens members for food insecurity, connecting more than 3000 individuals to food resources including local food pantries and government assistance programs through its partner Hunger Free Colorado.
- Presbyterian Healthcare Services (Albuquerque, New Mexico) subsidizes the La Cosecha Community Supported Agriculture program to provide more than 300 low-income families with healthy, locally grown produce each week along with culturally appropriate recipes.
- UCare (Minneapolis, Minnesota) has served more than 2000 customers with its fruit and vegetable mobile market.
The new profiles are linked above to their respective organization. Previously released profiles can be found here.
*As it is a new program, AvMed’s Mobile Pantry has not yet been profiled.
On September 19 ACHP hosted a webinar on the topic of food insecurity in partnership with Feeding America, a national leader in the fight against hunger.
# # #
These profiles are part of a series highlighting ACHP members’ work in their communities to address the drivers of a person’s total health including clinical health care, health behaviors, socio-economic and environmental factors.