Healthcare Finance highlighted seven ACHP affiliated plans for receiving a 5- star rating for their Medicare Advantage plans from Read more »
Vice President External Affairs
POSITION: VICE PRESIDENT EXTERNAL AFFAIRS
REPORTS TO: PRESIDENT/CEO
LOCATION: WASHINGTON, D. C.
The Alliance of Community Health Plans (ACHP) is a leadership organization that brings together innovative health plans and provider organizations that are among America’s best at delivering affordable, high-quality coverage and care to their communities. ACHP member organizations provide coverage and care for approximately 18 million Americans. Members collaborate to identify problems, share information and work toward solutions to some of health care’s biggest challenges. Their work is the foundation for ACHP’s advocacy on behalf of community-based and delivery-aligned health care that can yield better health care nationally. More information is available at www.achp.org.
The Vice President of External Affairs is responsible for leading ACHP’s advocacy and outreach strategies, overseeing a broad portfolio of interconnected relationships with policymakers, stakeholders, the media and thought leaders. The Vice President is a key strategist in furthering the goals of the Board of Directors, most notably increasing the influence of ACHP and its member organizations on priority policy issues. He/she will help drive ACHP’s central role in transforming the health sector and advancing the Triple Aim nationwide. The Vice President will oversee staffs in policy, lobbying and communications, coordinating the activities of those teams and advising the CEO on strategies for enhancing the collective impact of ACHP and its member organizations. He/she must be a creative, collegial leader able to guide multiple projects and teams simultaneously.
- In concert with the communications and advocacy staffs, develop a comprehensive external affairs strategy to increase the visibility and influence of ACHP and its member organizations in Washington and nationally.
- Oversee lobbying, policy and communications efforts to advance the substantive agenda of ACHP and its member organizations among Members of Congress, Congressional staff and other federal policymakers.
- Foster strong collaborative relationships with ACHP member organizations to achieve shared goals, particularly in the areas of federal policy making and communications.
- Partner with the Director of Policy in development of ACHP legislative and regulatory agenda.
- Help ACHP build meaningful relationships with other organizations and stakeholders to expand support for the alliance’s agenda. Serve as a strategic partner to ACHP members.
- Present to Board of Directors, Medical Directors and other key internal and external audiences on ACHP’s advocacy work.
- Oversee all ACHP communications – internal/external, advocacy, regulatory – to ensure coherent, consistent, compelling messages to all audiences.
- Working closely with the Director of Policy and head of Communications, approve all vendor contracts relating to communications, lobbying, research and advocacy.
- Support President and CEO as needed to achieve ACHP’s agenda.
- Lead, guide, mentor and manage staff to highest levels of contribution and performance.
- Proven track record as a successful strategist, able to assemble and manage coalitions and activate diverse players around a shared goal
- Deep understanding of federal health policy, including health plan issues, the legislative process and regulatory affairs
- 10+ years of experience in combined public policy and federal health advocacy positions
- Established relationships on Capitol Hill, in the Executive Branch and at health-related organizations
- 7+ years of supervisory or management experience
- Sophisticated understanding of how Washington works and the intersection of policy and politics
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills; equally comfortable using data and anecdotes to build compelling case for change
- Proven ability to lead collaborative initiatives to successful outcomes
- Ability to help ACHP’s diverse team and members see and apply big picture aspects of healthcare policy to daily activities
Please submit a CV, cover letter and two writing samples via e-mail to ACHP Human Resources at email@example.com. Please include VP External Affairs, along with your first initial and last name in the subject line of your e-mail message.