Manager, Public Policy
POSITION: MANAGER, PUBLIC POLICY (FULL-TIME, EXEMPT)
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC POLICY
LOCATION: WASHINGTON, D.C.
The Alliance of Community Health Plans (ACHP) is a leadership organization that brings together innovative community-based, non-profit health plans and provider organizations that are among America’s best at delivering affordable, high-quality coverage and care to their communities. ACHP member organizations provide coverage and care for more than 19 million Americans across 28 states and the District of Columbia. Plans collaborate to identify problems, share information and work toward solutions to health care’s biggest challenges. ACHP’s advocacy focuses on helping member plans succeed in their markets and transform the delivery of care across all lines of business. More information is available at www.achp.org.
The position of Manager, Public Policy requires an energetic, enthusiastic individual committed to health care issues. Successful candidates will be prepared to conduct in-depth research of issues related to Medicare Advantage, Medicaid managed care, the individual market or drug pricing. The successful candidate will be a collegial member of our integrated advocacy team, supporting ACHP through cogent and concise policy research and analysis, writing, relationship-building with member plans, and additional operational activities.
We are a culture that values strong organizational abilities, polished written and oral communications, emotional intelligence and attention to detail. This position affords opportunity for rapid learning and growth for individuals who thrive in a high-performing, fast-paced environment.
- Draft regulatory comment letters, organize issue briefings, develop issue-specific communications for various audiences.
- Conduct research and develop data-driven and/or evidence-based policy materials, including original analysis, policy positions, newsletter updates, talking points, fact sheets, presentations, and background documents.
- Support ACHP lobbying activities, including Hill and administration meetings
- Partner with the Director of Public Policy to assess proposed regulations and develop formal regulatory responses.
- Monitor and summarize legislative and regulatory developments, brief senior staff, and disseminate information and materials to member plans.
- Support the activities of the ACHP Legislative and Policy Committees.
- Develop close relationships with ACHP staff to draw on their expertise for policy work and serve as policy resource for colleagues.
- Work closely with ACHP member plans in order to help advance their advocacy agendas.
- Assist member organizations in resolving operational issues in Medicare, Medicaid and other public programs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Two to three years of experience with health care issues required
- One or more of the following is required: experience on Capitol Hill or the Executive Branch; experience in a health plan, health care trade association or health care research organization
- Understanding of government health programs such as Medicare, Medicaid, the individual market and prescription drug policy
- Exceptional written and oral communications skills; ability to synthesize and present complex information for various audiences
- Demonstrated professional maturity and an eagerness to learn and grow into a more senior role
- Commitment to working in a team environment with an emphasis on collaboration and maintaining positive relationships with colleagues and stakeholders
- Demonstrated strong research and analytical capabilities
- Competency in MS Office applications (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
Please submit a cover letter and resume via e-mail to ACHP Human Resources at email@example.com. Please include Manager, Public Policy, along with your first initial and last name in the subject line of your e-mail message.