HealthPartners President and CEO Mary Brainerd received the 2017 Women in Business Career Achievement Award. She received the award Read more »
Health Partners – Vice President, Pharmacy Services
Job Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Job ID#: 40958
# of openings: 1
Health Partners currently has an exciting and unique opportunity for a Vice President, Pharmacy Services. This position exists to provide administrative leadership, strategic direction and decision-making for the HealthPartners Pharmacy Plan department managing 850,000 commercial, Medicare and Medicaid health plan members. This leader is responsible for the management of all health plan pharmacy programs and operations and ensures pharmacy services are provided within professional, regulatory and accrediting body standards. Develops and achieves departmental objectives and maintains focus on continuous improvement of clinical quality and customer service with a strong focus on delivering affordable pharmacy products to the market.
The Vice President is responsible for Pharmacy’s involvement in the retention of current business and the winning of new business plan members. Drives Triple Aim results in pharmacy plan services that align with HealthPartners mission, vision and values. Collaborates with other departments to coordinate services and facilitates a positive working relationship with internal staff, departments, and providers: and external customers, vendors, suppliers, and providers. Oversees the PBM relationships and ensures contracted pharmacy providers deliver the best quality, experience and affordability
Located in Minneapolis, Minnesota, HealthPartners is the largest consumer-governed, nonprofit health care organization in the nation with a mission to improve health and well-being in partnership with members, patients and the community. HealthPartners is an integrated health care organization providing health care service and health plan financing and administration serving more than 1.5 million medical and dental health plan members nationwide. For more information, please visit www.healthpartners.com.
- Leads and directs the strategic planning, development and execution of strategies for delivering health plan pharmacy services in order to achieve high quality affordable health care that improves the health and well-being of members’ lives.
- Develops and regularly evaluates departmental goals and objectives by recommending short-term and long-term strategies for Pharmacy Plan programs and services that meet targeted goals and objectives and support HealthPartners’ overall objectives.
- Responsible for the supervision of staff, including having the authority to hire, transfer, lay off, promote, discipline and discharge, train, reward and review performance of employees. Ensures compliance to organizational and departmental policies and procedures.
- Ensures that pharmacy department personnel are involved in integrated efforts promoting the delivery of quality, cost-effective pharmacy services to health plan members, e.g., formulary development and management strategies, academic detailing, development of therapeutic guidelines, development of dosing guidelines, drug utilization review, disease management, outcomes analysis, physician profiling, rebate programs and pharmacy network compliance.
- Provides leadership and direction for the development, implementation, and evaluation of pharmacy benefit programs and clinical programs for HealthPartners’ plans. Assists in the benefit design and benefit analysis of pharmacy benefit programs for HealthPartners’ self-funded employer groups.
- Establishes strong collaborative relationships with external pharmacy leaders in various healthcare systems and organizations.
- Ensures HealthPartners position is represented in local, regional and national pharmacy and managed care professional associations where critical discussions and decisions are made related to pharmacy regulation, practice and policy, including personal participation.
- Oversees and approves all budgets pertaining to the health plan pharmacy including responsibility for identifying and recommending the capital needs for the department.
- Provides direction to medical staff in managing pharmacy costs and utilization to achieve health plan goals and directs pharmacy department staff in cost containment efforts, optimization of resources, staff utilization and productivity.
- Responsible for managing health plan pharmacy costs and utilization, and providing solutions to ensure accountability by physicians, pharmacists, and health plan members.
- Understands, integrates, and interprets pharmacy financial performance with overall medical care costs and utilization.
- Evaluates and monitors contractual relationships with pharmaceutical companies, suppliers, PBMs/claims processors, including the evaluation of the pharmacy network for best quality, experience and affordability.
- Develops, evaluates, approves, and implements all pharmacy plan department policies and procedures ensuring compliance with all regulatory agencies.
- Creates and promotes an environment of continual quality improvement with ongoing staff input that fosters personal ownership and teamwork within the department and within the organization.
- Collaborates with and solicits input from other departments to improve pharmacy services and programs and maintain a positive working relationship
- Provides assistance to Sales/Marketing in response to RFP’s, ensures they are knowledgeable on pharmacy, and participates in sales presentations.
- Coordinates the development of communication materials to enhance sales/marketing and account management efforts regarding pharmacy benefit programs, e.g., client newsletters.
- Oversees the creation, update and ongoing testing of business continuity and disaster recovery planning and preparation. Participates as requested in incident command training and drills.
- MS, MBA, PharmD, or equivalent
- Licensed Pharmacist in State of Minnesota
- Ten years of leadership experience in managed care and/or pharmacy benefit management
- Strong management, leadership, and team-building skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to interact with individuals at all levels within and external to the organization.
- Excellent communication skills-both verbal and written.
- Previous experience working in a retail and/or hospital pharmacy ensuring a strong understanding of the business of pharmacy and pharmacy benefit management.
- Thorough knowledge of pharmacy policies, practices and systems
- Ability to establish a participative presence on behalf of HealthPartners in pharmacy industry forums
- Knowledge of regulatory/legislative requirements impacting pharmacy and managed care industry.
- Capable of directing, leading, and implementing change
- Capable of prioritizing the relevance and importance of various issues as they relate to the organizational goals.
- Strong managed care contracting and negotiation experience.
- Budgeting expertise and planning/monitoring skills to establish and implement a Business Plan and manage business operations to meet/exceed objectives. P& L experience.
APPLICATION & COMPENSATION INFORMATION:
HealthPartners offers competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits package. For immediate, confidential consideration, please visit www.healthpartners.com/careers, click on job opportunities and search for Job ID #40958. For further information or questions regarding this position, please contact Christa Nelson at 952-883-6401 or Christa.A.Nelson@HealthPartners.com.