Security Health Plan has invested $20,000 in the Marshfield Clinic’s Child Life Program, which endeavors to alleviate anxiety and Read more »
Chief Medical Officer
POSITION: Chief Medical Officer (Part-time Exempt)
REPORTS TO: President & CEO
LOCATION: Washington, D. C. (preferred)
The Alliance of Community Health Plans (ACHP) is a leadership organization that brings together innovative nonprofit health plans and provider organizations that are among America’s best at delivering affordable, high-quality coverage and care to their communities. ACHP member organizations provide coverage and care for approximately 18 million Americans. Drawing on years of experience, member organizations collaborate to identify problems, share information and work toward solutions to some of health care’s biggest challenges. Their work is the foundation for ACHP’s advocacy on behalf of better health care nationally. More information is available at www.achp.org.
The Chief Medical Officer is the leading clinical thinker and speaker for ACHP, guiding alliance efforts in promoting the Triple Aim at our member plans and in public policy. The CMO is a visionary, empathetic leader with a passion for Washington-based advocacy that leads to better health and health outcomes.
This senior executive collaborates with medical and quality leaders in ACHP organizations to drive higher performance in health care delivery, and to implement programs that share best practices. He/she is the leading spokesperson for ACHP on clinical issues focused on health care transformation, value-based insurance design and successful community benefit programs. The CMO is a key strategist in differentiating nonprofit community health plans by documenting their unique mission and unmatched health outcomes.
Working with ACHP’s clinical innovation team, the CMO helps design research and learning initiatives for medical executives around cutting edge topics, and networks intensively with experts in the field to identify emerging ideas and challenges. This physician leader works closely with the policy, lobbying and communications teams at ACHP by providing compelling examples of plan work to improve care and lower costs that can be used to educate and activate external stakeholders including policy makers.
- Build relationships with senior leaders from member plans and the clinical innovation team to advance performance improvement programs and value-based care.
- Serve as the in-house expert on care delivery models in community-based health plans.
- Work with member plans’ key leaders to identify clinical priorities and rigorous performance improvement strategies that will drive the future success and competitiveness of regional health plans.
- Foster strong relationships with executives at member organizations and other leading regional health plans to ensure ACHP remains a leader in the movement to a high-value US health system.
- Develop and sustain external information networks of practitioners and thought leaders to support program development and foster dissemination of innovations and ideas.
- Play a prominent role in ACHP’s innovation collaboratives including identifying and recruiting top tier guest lecturers, developing stimulating agendas and disseminating insights.
- Support President/CEO in activities related to communications and policy programming, including:
- Outward-facing ACHP membership growth
- ACHP organizational visibility and success
- Develop and maintain strong expertise related to health plan operations, particularly in areas that could affect clinical performance and affordability.
- MD or DO; Board Certified, MBA or MPH highly desired
- Advanced understanding of health plans’ operations, particularly provider-aligned regional health plans
- 5+ years clinical experience, preferably in a group practice using modern tools such as an electronic medical record; primary care experience preferable
- 3+ years management experience
- Strong team player, demonstrated success in working in cross-functional teams, collaborating with clinical and non-clinical staff
- Proven skills in effectively partnering with senior executives including CEOs and CMOs of major community health plans
- Experience with population health management strategies and implementation
- Strong written and oral communication skills including social media; published in peer-reviewed and mainstream publications highly desired
- Ability to see and apply big picture aspects of health care policy to daily ACHP program design
Knowledge of grant-writing and management
Expertise in the health care quality movement and/or alternative payment efforts
Please submit a CV and cover letter via e-mail to ACHP Human Resources at email@example.com. Please include Chief Medical Officer, along with your first initial and last name in the subject line of your e-mail message.