Kaiser Permanente has been named California’s Most Recommended Health Insuranc... Read More
POSITION: ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR FOR GOVERNMENT RELATIONS
REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR OF PUBLIC POLICY
LOCATION: WASHINGTON, D. C.
The Alliance of Community Health Plans (ACHP) is a leadership organization that brings together innovative health plans and provider organizations that are among America’s best at delivering affordable, high-quality coverage and care to their communities. ACHP member organizations provide coverage and care for approximately 18 million Americans. Members collaborate to identify problems, share information and work toward solutions to some of health care’s biggest challenges. Their work is the foundation for ACHP’s advocacy on behalf of community-based and delivery-aligned health care that can yield better health care nationally. More information is available at www.achp.org.
The Associate Director for Government Relations is responsible for increasing the influence of ACHP and its member organizations to achieve public policy changes that reflect the priorities and goals of the Board of Directors. The Associate Director will be the primary day-to-day lobbyist for ACHP and its member organizations on Capitol Hill and with the Executive Branch. He/she will serve as a key strategist in developing and implementing ACHP’s advocacy agenda and messaging. The Associate Director’s overall goal will be to enhance the collective voice of ACHP member organizations in providing public policy solutions and to achieve legislative and regulatory successes.
- Develop and execute lobbying strategy in order to increase the visibility and influence of ACHP and its member organizations among Members of Congress, Congressional staff and other federal policy makers and thought leaders.
- Develop lobbying strategy and coordinate with ACHP member organizations to achieve policy goals. Coach ACHP member organizations on effective lobbying strategies and approaches.
- Develop close working relationships with member legislative and policy staffs. Maintain ongoing dialogue with member plans to understand the impact of policy proposals.
- Advance the use of a lobbying database and other digital and analytics tools to strengthen the capabilities of ACHP’s advocacy team.
- Expand ACHP’s relationships with key leaders beyond lawmakers representing states of member plans.
- Leverage relationships with other organizations and stakeholders to accomplish ACHP policy goals and expand support for ACHP’s agenda.
- Serve as expert resource on political and legislative issues affecting ACHP plans. Present to key internal and external audiences on ACHP’s lobbying strategy and outcomes.
- Partner with the Director of Public Policy, external lobbyists and others to develop ACHP advocacy communications. Serve as a point of contact with external lobbyists.
- Contribute to the development of ACHP’s public affairs messaging and external brand.
- Partner with other ACHP staff leaders to incorporate all staff capabilities into policy and lobbying efforts where appropriate. Leverage member plans’ leadership and expertise in financing and delivery system initiatives to achieve policy goals.
- Support President and CEO as needed to achieve ACHP’s agenda.
- Strong understanding of federal health care policy, including health plan issues, and of the political environment
- 5+ years of experience in combined public policy, federal health advocacy, or political campaign positions
- Strong knowledge of health care and health plan issues required; knowledge of health plan quality, performance and delivery issues preferred
- Established relationships on Capitol Hill, in the Executive Branch or at health-related organizations
- 2+ years of supervisory or project management experience preferred
- Sophisticated understanding of how Washington works and the intersection of policy and politics
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Proven ability to lead collaborative initiatives to successful outcomes
- Ability to see and apply big picture aspects of health care policy to daily ACHP program strategy and tactics
Please submit a CV, cover letter and two writing samples via e-mail to ACHP Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Associate Director, along with your first initial and last name in the subject line of your e-mail message.