Park Nicollet Health Services, a part of HealthPartners, is helping executives manage stress and improve their health. The executive Read more »
Position: Communications Specialist (Full-time)
Reports to: Director, Public Affairs and Manager, Communications and Public Relations
Location: Washington, D.C.
The Alliance of Community Health Plans (ACHP) is a leadership organization that brings together innovative non-profit or provider-sponsored health plans and provider organizations that are among America’s best at delivering affordable, high-quality coverage and care to their communities. ACHP member organizations provide coverage and care for approximately 18 million Americans. Drawing on years of experience, members collaborate to identify problems, share information and work toward solutions to some of health care’s biggest challenges. Their work is the foundation for ACHP’s advocacy on behalf of better health care nationally. More information is available at www.achp.org.
The Communications Specialist position requires a high-energy, detail-oriented, highly organized and enthusiastic individual interested in carrying out a full range of strategic communications initiatives. The Specialist works collaboratively with ACHP staff and members to creatively promote ACHP and its member organizations. Exceptional organizational and written and oral communication skills are essential. The Specialist must also have knowledge of effective communication tools and an interest in health care policy.
Website and Social Media
- Work with senior staff, CEO and other communications staff to manage and monitor ACHP’s social media activities, including working with appropriate stakeholders to develop an expanded, effective social media strategy and presence; a calendar of projected work reflecting ACHP’s messages and timing considerations; and metrics for success.
- Serve as primary social media point person, tasked with keeping Twitter feed updated and active and continuing to grow our presence on the medium; research and oversee entry into new social media. Collect and regularly report our social media metrics.
- Serve as staff liaison to ACHP’s website and website applications provider, including working with provider to resolve website’s backend functionality issues and improvements; produce reports and website analytics, as needed, for each program area.
- Collect and regularly report website metrics.
- Primary point person for staff technical support for website design, updating and troubleshooting.
- Assure materials align with ACHP brand.
- Update templates, standard information, promotional materials, etc. as needed.
Coordination of Communications Initiatives
- Partner with Manager, Communications and Public Relations to successfully guide ACHP documents that will be published (by ACHP or external vendor) through the stages of editing, design, production, publication and public/member outreach. Coordinate with other publication stakeholders to achieve excellent, timely products that convey ACHP’s messages.
- Work with communications staff, ACHP staff and consultants to create a calendar of all ACHP communications deliverables. Manage and monitor communications-related activities for these deliverables, as assigned.
- Align communications strategy with project coordination on a daily basis to position ACHP and its members as a leading voice on the health care system and health policy.
Writing and Editing
- Serve as backup writer for daily Media Monitoring Report (MMR), as needed or in the absence of the Administrative Coordinator, Communications and Public Affairs.
- Serve as backup editor, as needed or in the absence of Manager, Communications and Public Relations
- Manage slide deck for presentations of President and senior staff.
- Assist in managing relationship with external communications consultants.
- Serve as staff liaison to audio visual vendor at annual Symposium.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in English, communications or public/media relations
- Exceptional writing and oral communications skills; ability to synthesize and present detailed information cogently verbally and in writing
- Exemplary abilities in current social media platforms (including Twitter, Facebook, YouTube) and best practices
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate projects, including excellent organizational, leadership and interpersonal skills, experience managing team calendar and ability to run meetings
- Excellent time-management skills and the capacity to successfully work on multiple projects simultaneously, frequently under tight deadlines
- Strong skills using MS Office applications (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Publisher), Adobe Creative Suite (including InDesign) and social media platforms (including Twitter, Facebook, YouTube)
- Three years of progressively responsible experience in relevant communications work
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and interact productively with staff, members and other organizations
- An interest in health care and/or health care operations is required. Experience in health care is not.
Please submit a CV, two writing samples and a cover letter explaining how you think your skills make you a strong candidate for this position via e-mail to ACHP Human Resources at email@example.com. Please include Communications Specialist, along with your first initial and last name in the subject line of your e-mail message.